Friday, April 9, 2010

A Year Later

I started writing this yesterday, but didn't get a chance to finish it, so here is the combined two-day efforts of my thoughts on the one-year anniversary of Nick Adenhart's death.


I can't believe it's been a year since Nick Adenhart was killed following his 2009 debut. It seems a little surreal. I can't believe a year has gone by already.

It doesn't feel like that long ago that I met Nick. This tall skinny kid had a big smile and made everyone laugh with his antics during media day.

I kept thinking that this kid (and I can say kid because he was the only player on the team that was younger than me) was the no. 1 pitching prospect for thw whole organization.

I loved watching him throw. He was so talented, it seemed his biggest would easily be overcome with him and maturity and I was anxious to see him produce in the bigs.

I remember watching his six-inning shut out against the A's last year. I was joking with Carey about Nick the whole time. The following day I was on my way to work when my brother called me and told me what happened. Just thinking about that day make me feel sick to my stomach. Every emothions comes back so quickly.

When something this tragic happens it feels like there is no possible way that the world will still go on, and yet one year has already passed by.

I just want to comment on what an amazing organization that ball club is. The Angels handled the situation with such grace and should be commended for their actions.

"People have understood the tragedy as time goes on and you try to accept it but to be honest it was never about us, it was never about our team or our organization. It still remains about a family losing a son and a community losing a son. Jim and Janet and the whole extended Adenhart family, we got a little bit of peace by trying to support them." - Manager Mike Scioscia

Links to some news stories
LA Times
ESPN
LAAngels.com
***picture from ESPN.com

No comments: