Friday, March 13, 2009

Spectating

Yesterday I had to opportunity to attend a baseball game as a spectator for the first time since I watched my cousin Eddie's team play against the Angels' scout team past summer.

I've seen plenty of games since then, but they were all while I was working.

Please do not misunderstand me, because I love working baseball games, but there is something different about sitting in the stands, feeling the sun on your skin, watching the game, listening to the sounds of the ball park.

As I sat at the BYU vs. Utah game at Franklin Covey field I turned to Carey and proclaimed, "I should do this for the rest of my life."

It's an interesting aspiration considering my dream job would be in the Bigs, but I always want to be able to be out at a baseball game and be able to love every minute of it.

As I learn more and more about the sport, spectating becomes increasingly more satisfying. Shane Loux spent several summer nights teaching me how to tell what pitch was thrown while he was charting.

After spending time soaking in the knowledge of scouts every night, I can begin to see things in the game that I never saw before.

I had a great time sitting at the park and taking it all in, without having to worry about writing a game recap, injury updates, posting lineups, noting lineup changes, feeding stats to TV or tracking down obscure stats from years past.

But getting to do that for my job is pretty good too.

1 comment:

Carey said...

As a spectator you also don't have to deal with Kelli or "babe".