Sunday, November 23, 2008

To All You BYU Fans...

Well, that wasn't so pretty.

I sat in my office trying to get some homework done and watching the Holy War (because the next three weeks are going to kill me), but instead I couldn't focus on anything other than the game.

I was hopeful through the first three quarters, we were still in it.

Then the fourth quarter hit.

I am going to refrain from talking in detail my feelings about the end of the game, the team's performance and my overall feeling about our fans.

I want to represent my university and my department so I'm not going to publicly declare how much I don't like BYU fans. I'm not going to say that they are wretched, fair-weather fans who only wish to be affiliated with the team when they are doing something miraculous. I'm not going to talk about how the sold-out stadium is a mix of colors (when it should be all blue), and I'm not even going to mention the lack of signs, unruly behavior and true-blue fans.

I bleed blue. But like I said, I'm not going to mention my feelings.

I am going to lament the loss, but football is one small part of a bigger picture. I am going to support my Cougars, cheer them on in the Bowl game (even if the BCS system is crap). I'll be happy for the MWC, because in the end it will help BYU.

I'll Rise and Shout (even though as a member of press row I'm technically not allowed to cheer).

Anyone who knows me, knows I don't like the Red Sox. I don't like them because of all bandwago fans that jumped on in 2004 when they won the World Series.

I don't like Red Sox fans, but I respect their real fans, the ones who suffered through years and years of their team falling apart in the postseason. They made it through and two World Series titles later, saw their team develop into one of baseball's powerhouses.

I can't believe I am going to say this, but why can't BYU fans take a look at a die-hard fans and develop fanhood like that.

Your cheer for your team when they are up, and you mourn with them when they lose. You don't disown them.

Oh dang, Oakland is about to score. Gotta Go.

1 comment:

dawn said...

Speak your mind girl!!!!! You've learned well . . . Loved the blog!!