Saturday, July 4, 2009

I Like to be in America

Happy Fourth of July! Some of my favorite summer memories stem from this holiday. From Firecracker tournaments when I was little, to Vail, SLC trips and dutch over cook outs...There are so many things that I love about this holiday.

Last night I went to a production of West Side Story at the SCERA theatre in Orem, Utah. During the song "America" I found myself feelings so grateful to live here.

In light of everything that has been going on in Iran, I am grateful to be in a country that is free of oppression, a country where as a woman I am free to pursue an education, a career, and pretty much anything I want. I don't mean to say that America is the only great place in the world, but I am very grateful for the freedoms we experience here. Being reminded that not everyone is able to live in a country where they are free from oppression humbles me and reminds me to be appreciative.

Also, if you're in the Provo/Orem area check out West Side Story. It runs until July 20th, and the girl who plays Maria was great!

No comments: