Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Downside of a Pixie - Growing it out

I haven't written anything for this blog in years but I had to log in to google analytics for my job and I checked this blog and was shocked to see the traffic I get from google and pinterest for growing out a pixie. Since I'm now on the other end of this endeavor I wanted to share more photos and tips to this post. 
 

Shortest


Grown out!


I wanted to add more photos of my experience because I was always looking for real life experience, not just celebrities who have access to a glam team to make them look their best. 

Growing out a pixie is really freaking hard. There's a whole lot of awkwardness that can happen. My current goal is to avoid awkwardness. I had a super short pixie. I've been growing it out since January and I'm about the longest it has been since chopping it off. And it is still looking pretty short.

Here are my tips for you ladies.

1. Headbands - it'll keep you hair back out of your face and makes a great accessory. I typically used it for pulling my hair back for workouts, hikes and volleyball. Headbands weren't as popular are they are now. 



2. Braid or pin your bangs - I've recently started putting a small braid in my hair where my bangs are. Its just a little different and an alternative to pinning it back. My hair was almost black when I was in this phase of grow out, so it's hard to see it in photos.





3. Weight - Have your stylist cut out your excess weight. I'm lucky enough to have a hair stylist for a roommate. We do this every couple of weeks. 
My hair is pretty even here. 

You can see my hair is heavier on the top in this photo. 



4. Trim - Every so often my roommate trimmed my hair. This keeps you from sprouting a lovely duck tail at the nape of the neck. Our goal was to keep the length on the top and trim the edges and back. You will have "holes" in your hair from where your ears were. Embrace it. Eventually your hair will get long enough that you won't see them anymore. 




I've got holes here. It isn't super visible, but you can see the hair around my face is a bit wispy. 
The hole is pretty obvious here. My little earlobe is sticking out. 

5. Patience. This is the hardest part. I began this process last year and got fed up and chopped it off. Now when the urge to chop off my hair returns, I tell myself I'll wait two weeks and if I still want to I'll cut it. The urge usually passes within a few days. 

Now looking back, I am so glad I kept going. I actually tried to grow it out once and cut it after a few months, then I tried for real and did it. It's a long process, but it can be cute the whole time. However if you're willing to go through a few painful months with a mullet, you can grow it all out at the same time. I just didn't want that. 





I'll include some photos here of good options for growing out your pixie.


 My favorite example to look to is Carey Mulligan. Here are a couple of looks of her hair at the growing out process.





No comments: